Luckily, we here at Assured Natural Distribution have a variety of natural supplements that can help me – and you – relax, rest, and recover muscularly so that we don’t wake with pain or because of hormone fluctuations or too much stress. Lucky for me (yes, that’s sarcasm), I have a variety of reasons keeping me up at night, including the list above. I get restless legs and various aches and pains from running. I overthink. I am perimenopausal. I fall asleep easily but wake, likely meaning that my adrenals are taxed.
So what can I do? Let’s take a look at our products to see what can help us get the rest we so desperately need for overall health and wellness:
- WomenSense AdrenaSense: Our ability to adapt to stress depends upon optimal function of the adrenal glands and in particular, the regulation of the main stress hormone: cortisol. Chronic stress can lead to elevated levels of cortisol, resulting in adrenal stress. Early symptoms of adrenal stress include: fatigue, depression, cold hands or feet, dizziness, low back pain, asthma, allergies, sweet cravings, hormonal imbalances, irritability, headaches, gastrointestinal problems, skin problems, arthritis and other inflammatory conditions. Cortisol imbalances can also lead to blood sugar problems, weight gain, compromised immune function, infertility, chronic fatigue, bone loss, high triglyceride levels and heart disease. The ingredients in AdrenaSense work together to reduce the effects of stress to improve mental and physical performance.
- Magnesium: Magnesium has been shown to help with a variety of issues from muscle cramping, supporting cardiovascular health, Restless Leg Syndrome, headaches & migraines, PMS & menstrual cramps, insomnia to mood stabilization & depression and more. Magnesium is present in all cells of the body and is involved in over 300 biochemical processes – including energy production. Magnesium deficiency is one of the most common mineral deficiencies in North America that can be lead to a multitude of symptoms and health concerns.
- WomenSense MenoSense: For the reduction of hot flashes, night sweats and other symptoms of menopause. The term menopause means one year with no menstrual cycle. Peri-menopause is the 10-15 years leading up to menopause. Both times in a woman’s life can bring unwelcome symptoms. MenoSense® contains natural ingredients to help relieve the symptoms associated with menopause and peri-menopause. Black cohosh, chasteberry, gamma orzanol, hesperidin and dong quai will help balance fluctuating hormone levels and ease the transition through menopause.
- SleepSense: Melatonin is a naturally occurring compound found in plants and animals. It helps to maintain the body’s circadian rhythm, an internal 24-hour “clock” that plays a critical role in when we fall asleep and when we wake up. When it is dark, the body produces more melatonin; when it is light, the production of melatonin drops. Being exposed to bright lights in the evening or too little light during the day can disrupt the body’s normal melatonin cycles. For example, jet lag and shift work can disrupt melatonin cycles. As the body ages, melatonin levels often decrease and low melatonin levels have been associated with insomnia in the elderly. Supplementing with SleepSense can help combat insomnia in people whose natural production of melatonin is below normal. SleepSense also contains Vitamin B12 to enhance the effects of melatonin. Studies show that Vitamin B12 causes an earlier release of melatonin at night, which can reset the sleep-wake cycle and help you to fall asleep faster.
- HappySense: This product can help a variety of issues around sleep and mood, including cravings for carbs. It contains 5-HTP, which naturally enhances serotonin, which in turn improves mood, reduces cravings and increases energy. Healthy levels of serotonin help to deal with stressors leaving a feeling of relaxation and calm. Low serotonin levels are usually associated with sleeping disorders, however, they can also cause many other symptoms including fatigue, irritability, and sleep disruption. 5-HTP allows for natural sleep without the drugged feeling of prescription medication in the morning.
As you can see, there are a lot of supplements available at your fine local health food store and natural health pharmacy that may be able to help you – and me – with our sleep issues. Bear in mind that some of these supplements should only be taken for a certain period of time, so perhaps trying one for a few months then switching it up for another might be something that works for you. For my own sleep issues, I have decided that I am going to try one of the products that contains melatonin, and magnesium for my muscle woes. I might also consider looking into whether my adrenals might be low or overtaxed.
Whatever the case, I am heartened to know there are natural and safe remedies out there that will give me relief and the much needed sleep that I need. And if you’re having issues too, I wish you all the best in finding a solution that works for you.
Goodnight, all! zzzzzz
- Karen Gasbarino-Knutt.