Good health isn’t all about taking supplements. It’s about doing some things in your life mindfully in order to be the best you that you can be. So many of us take sleep for granted, skip too many work outs, take life too seriously. Good health is about making the time to be your best you and relaxing and smiling through it. Read expert Brad King‘s great advice for what he refers to as the non-negotiables for good health:
Let’s be honest, life can sometimes throw us obstacles and usually at the most inconvenient of times. It is typically the most flexible of us that can not only adapt to these obstacles, but actually turn them into positive experiences.
Yes, we often have to gumbify (don’t bother looking it up, it’s a term I made up from the character Gumby, in order to express one’s ability to twist and stretch, so we can better navigate change) ourselves in order to create positive change, but regardless of why or how things happen, there are certain non-negotiables that we should always have in place. This way we always live with integrity.
Quality over Quantity
- As a product formulator, it’s easy to get caught up in the mentality of throwing everything into a product and hoping it sticks. We live in a world where we are lead to believe that more always equates to better. But in the supplement game, that doesn’t work unless the more is also provided in dosages that create a metabolic reaction. I call this the Centrum Philosophy, which means if a supplement contains A-Z, it probably doesn’t contain enough of anything to make a difference. I have always focused on the correct compilation of nutrients, in their proper forms and within a sufficient dose, to exert a positive metabolic reaction.
Exercise is Not an Option
- I can’t tell you the number of times over the years I have had to fight to make time to exercise when I was on the road. Traveling with various people doesn’t mean they adhere to the same lifestyle you do. Many individuals just don’t understand that I always—no matter what—have to have time in my schedule to work out. This may mean waking up an hour earlier than I would have liked, but if it means I get to start my day with a workout, it’s well worth it.
Eight Hours of Sleep Each Night
- This is another non-negotiable that isn’t always easy to stick to. However, I do my best to make it happen. Plain and simple, if I don’t get eight hours of deep sleep each night, I can’t perform efficiently the next day. Sleep is when the body replenishes, so dedicate the necessary time to it—period!
- Isn’t life serious enough as it is? Just watch the news and you’ll get a hint of what I’m referring too. What we need more of is lightheartedness. Stop taking ourselves so seriously. Laugh a little… Actually, make that a lot, and try to make others laugh as well! It primes the spirit.
Be Respectful to Others
- I have always lived by the adage; treat others how you would like to be treated yourself. So I do. I would never intentionally be rude, impolite, obnoxious or disrespectful of my fellow man, nor would I accept that behaviour in return. I truly believe there is something to be learned by every person you come in contact with and every situation you find yourself in.
Someone once said: Wisdom is knowing the right path to take, whereas integrity is taking it.